World News

Canada begins airlift evacuation from Haiti after weather delay – National | Globalnews.ca

A spokeswoman for Foreign Minister Mélanie Joly said 36 Canadians have now been brought from Haiti by helicopter.

On Monday, Joly said the first group of 18 people had already departed, but Global Affairs Canada later clarified that their departure had been postponed due to bad weather.

Two groups were flown to the Dominican Republic after heavy rain and wind conditions eased.

Joly announced Canada’s evacuation plan for citizens in Haiti on Monday afternoon.

Canadian passport holders are being offered an exit option as Haiti suffers from food shortages and increasing violence from armed gangs.

Joly’s spokeswoman said the minister was told before her news conference on Monday that the first group of 18 people had just left, and she only learned of the postponement after speaking to reporters.

Story continues below advertisement

Global Affairs said the 18 people were safely housed overnight and flown out on Tuesday morning.

Breaking news from Canada and around the world will be randomly delivered to your email address.

Another group of 18 people followed.


Click here to play the video: “Canadian Ambassador Remains in Haiti Despite Ongoing Violence: Joly”


Canadian ambassador remains in Haiti despite ongoing violence: Joly


Canada transports the small groups free of charge by helicopter to the neighboring Dominican Republic, but they have to pay for their own accommodation and the return trip to Canada.

The airlift is only for Canadians with valid passports, and Joly said she is calling on Dominican Republic officials to also allow relatives of citizens and permanent residents of Canada to evacuate.

The Canadian embassy in the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince can offer emergency documents to people with missing or expired passports.

On Monday, officials said there were about 3,000 people with a connection to Canada who had voluntarily registered their presence in Haiti with the government.

Story continues below advertisement

Fewer than 300 of them had asked for help leaving the country.

And fewer than 100 of those seeking help are Canadian citizens with valid passports, Joly said Monday.

Only about 30 of them said they were “ready to travel,” an official told reporters.

&Copy 2024 The Canadian Press

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button