World

There is a trade dispute between Israel and Hezbollah, with deaths reported on both sides

Hezbollah militants fired dozens of rockets into northern Israel from Lebanon on Wednesday in what they said was retaliation for an Israeli attack in southern Lebanon overnight.

The militant barrage came as pro-Palestinian protesters increased pressure on the government in neighboring Jordan to cut ties with Israel. It also came as the United States said a previously canceled meeting with an Israeli delegation in Washington to discuss a planned offensive in the southern Gaza town of Rafah would be postponed.

Hezbollah, the Iran-backed group based in Lebanon, has been engaged in firefights with Israeli forces across the border for months, and on Wednesday the Israeli military said its forces had attacked a “significant terrorist” near the town of al-Habbariyeh South Lebanon.

The Lebanese Ministry of Health said the Israeli attack who attacked an emergency medical center and killed seven paramedics, described this as “unacceptable”.

Hezbollah’s response was swift: an Israeli government spokesman said 30 rockets were fired at Israel. The strikes included, among other things: Direct hit According to Israeli authorities, a 25-year-old person died on a building in the town of Kiryat Shmona.

The shooting came after three consecutive days of protests against Israel’s bombing of the Gaza Strip near the Israeli embassy in the Jordanian capital Amman, according to reports from The Associated Press and Reuters. Much of the anger was directed at the Jordanian government.

Jordan maintains an important regional alliance with Israel, although Jordan’s leadership has become increasingly critical of Israel since the war in Gaza began. The conflict has forced tens of thousands of people to flee their homes in Gaza. And Jordan is home to more than 2.3 million registered Palestinian refugees, a population slightly larger than Gaza’s.

“Treason!” shouted the demonstrators. Some carried Palestinian flags, footage showed.

Video captured by news outlets on Tuesday evening showed security forces clashing with large crowds near the embassy. Security forces dispersed the crowd and arrested demonstrators.

Like its close ally Hamas, which sparked the war with a deadly attack on Israel on October 7, Hezbollah is backed by Iran. And since October it has been firing rockets into northern Israel almost every day. The Israeli military responded regularly with attacks on Hezbollah-affiliated targets in Lebanon.

Hezbollah’s attacks have so far been large enough to demonstrate its solidarity with Hamas, but also moderate enough to avoid an outright war with Israel.

In Gaza, the Israeli Air Force continues to bombard the area while Hamas militants continue to carry out attacks on Israeli soldiers – another indication that a new UN Security Council resolution calling for a ceasefire has failed to take effect.

Hamas said on Wednesday it had hit a soldier with sniper fire in the area around Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City. A day earlier, it attacked two Israeli tanks in the Khan Younis area, as well as an armored personnel carrier and a soldier on the north-south coastal road.

Israel has clearly condemned the Security Council resolution that called for a pause in fighting for the remaining weeks of Ramadan, which would lead to a “permanent, sustainable” ceasefire and the unconditional release of all hostages held by militants in the Gaza Strip.

The United States, which vetoed three attempts to pass a ceasefire resolution in the Council, abstained from the vote on Monday and allowed the measure to pass. A US resolution calling for a ceasefire as part of a deal to release hostages held in Gaza was rejected by Russia and China last week.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated his anger over the US decision not to block the UN resolution during his meeting in Jerusalem on Wednesday with Senator Rick Scott, Republican of Florida.

The decision, Mr. Netanyahu said, allowed Hamas to “take a hard line and believe that international pressure will prevent Israel from freeing the hostages and destroying Hamas.”

After the UN vote, Mr. Netanyahu canceled the meeting between a high-level Israeli delegation and American officials in Washington about the planned Rafah offensive. President Biden requested the meeting to discuss alternatives to a ground offensive into the city.

On Wednesday, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said at a daily news briefing: “The prime minister’s office said they want to postpone this meeting so we can talk about the Rafah operations.” We welcome that. And we will work with their teams to ensure this happens.”

Ms Jean-Pierre added: “We will set this date in the coming days.”

There was no immediate confirmation from Mr. Netanyahu’s office, which had previously denied a news report about postponed talks.

Three Palestinian human rights groups said on Wednesday that there had been an intensification of Israeli bombings in the past 72 hours in the city, where hundreds of thousands of displaced Gazans are seeking refuge, and that dozens of people had been killed.

Some of the attacks described by the groups occurred after the Security Council resolution was adopted, while several others occurred before its adoption.

Isabel Kershner, Rawan Sheikh Ahmad And Zach Montague contributed to the reporting,

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button