Sports

Longtime Orioles owner Peter Angelos dies at age 94

Subscribe to Fox News to access this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free.

Please enter a valid email address.

By entering your email address and clicking Continue, you agree to the Fox News Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which include our Financial Incentives Notice. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided.

Having trouble? Click here.

The Baltimore Orioles announced that longtime owner Peter Angelos died Saturday at age 94.

Angelos and other investors purchased the franchise in 1993 for $173 million and, due to his health in recent years, his sons John and Louis took over the main operation in 2019.

“Mr. Angelos had been ill for several years and the family would like to thank the doctors, nurses and caregivers who comforted him in his final years,” the team said said in a statement. “It was Mr. Angelos’ wish to have a private funeral and the family asks for your understanding as they honor this wish. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to charity.”

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Peter Angelos

Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos (Getty Images)

Shortly after purchasing the team, Angelos turned the O’s into a postseason contender and signed several major free agents before the 1994 season, including Rafael Palmeiro. The O’s reached the ALCS in 1996 and 1997, but missed the postseason the next 14 seasons.

The franchise is now one of the best in the league again. The Orioles are coming off a 101-win season in which they won the AL East as one of the league’s most surprising teams.

Peter Angelos at the conference

Peter Angelos, owner of the Baltimore Orioles, speaks at a news conference August 16, 2002 at baseball headquarters in New York. (Stan Honda/AFP via Getty Images)

MLB is launching a formal investigation into the gambling scandal involving Shohei Ohtani interpreter Ippei Mizuhara

Their young core of Adleyrutschman, Gunnar Henderson, Ryan Mountcastle and Jackson Holliday is expected to mesh well with veterans like Corbin Burnes, Craig Kimbrel, Cedric Mullins and Anthony Santander.

In January, the Angelos family agreed to sell the club to private equity billionaires David Rubenstein and Mike Arougheti. The selling price is an estimated $1.725 billionand Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr. is also an investor.

The sale came after John and Louis found themselves embroiled in a legal drama over the team’s future. Louis claimed that John and her mother Georgia had pushed Louis out of the family fortune.

Peter Angelos and Cal Ripken Jr.

Owner Peter Angelos talks with Cal Ripken Jr. (8) of the Baltimore Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore on October 6, 2001. (Focus on Sports/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Rubenstein and Arougheti are expected to initially acquire 40% of the franchise before purchasing the remaining 60% at a later date. The expected timeline for completion of the deal remains unclear.

Follow Fox News Digital Sports coverage of Xand subscribe the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button